Dhangethi. Full review
Small (it’s only 925 х 350 meters) but vivid and diverse Dhangethi is situated rather close to Male. To be more precise it’s only 87 km far from Maldives capital. The island is the capital of Alif Daal Attol with the population of about 1000 people.
The island specializes in ship building, so the docks are placed all around its territory. Not only that they produce simple fishing boats on Dhangethi but also some luxury resort boats.
The narrow streets of Dhangethi with its bright and vivid houses create a wonderful atmosphere of bliss and harmony. Walking along these streets you can feel what to be the islander is like when you’re far from the mainland and in the middle of the Indian Ocean. As on many other islands the streets are winding here on Dhangethi but any of them will still bring you to the oceanside.
Dhangethi will impress you with the wide range of facilities and entertainments. There are several beach cafes – By Jetty and Ekibaa, small corner shops and for sure a range of gift shops with a variety of handicrafts made of coconuts, mangos, shark teeth, various shells and corals and many others.
Among the administrative buildings you can find a hospital, a school, a mosque (no way without one) and the local council building.
What to do on Dhangethi?
You can find several guest houses on the island so there’re not so many tourists here. Besides this you may also find a dive center – Ariston Dhangethi Inn where everyone can take PADI diving course and get the real diver certificate.
The island has a moderate in its size bikini zone with a several hammocks and sunbeds for a confortable rest. The territory is always kept clean. The house reef is not so far from the beach but not really so close. So the best way to swim there should be in flippers.
The island is usually visited by kitesurfing amateurs. So there’s always a possibility to take a course in this extreme sport.
The island is surrounded by its unbelievably beautiful underwater world. And whale shark is for sure one of the most famous marine creature which attracts not only the tourists but the Maldivians themselves. Regardless of its name, whale shark is really very innocent – it feeds with plankton. But at the same time its size is impressive. It can reach up to 15 meters in length and 8 tonnes in weight.
The guest houses organize trips to see these wonderful creatures. Besides, this area is also famous for a several manta points where you could meet up to 10-15 manta rays at once.
Sun Island Resort, Centara Grand Resort and Conrad Maldives are situated rather close to Dhangethi. The latter is most famous for its underwater restaurant and in November 2018 they’re going to open underwater villa there – the first in its kind!
The guests may dine in this restaurant. It will cost around 335USD per person plus transfer to/from the resort. But don’t forget to book this wonderful experience in advance.
The guest houses also offer such activities as fishing, canoeing and windsurfing, so you will never get bored on this island!
And in general the island is mostly suitable for those who prefer active holidays.
Transfer to Dhangethi
From Male to Danggeti:
– Monday, Wednesday, Saturday – ferry leaves from the Villingili terminal at 09:00(it’s a 1 stop trip with a change to another ferry on Mahibadhoo).
From Danggeti Island to Male:
– Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday – ferry leaves from Dungeti at 09:00 (it’s a 1 stop trip with a change to another ferry on Mahibadhoo).
– tickets should be purchased the day before the trip, otherwise their availability is not guaranteed (the cost one way trip is 15USD);
– passengers should arrive at the ferry terminal at least half an hour before the departure, as the ferry leaves exactly on time;
– tt is not recommended to travel by ferry in bad weather in case of a severe storm.
Boats run every day, except Friday, with a price of $35 per person one way.
Male – Danggeti at 15:00 or at 16:00
Dangegeti – Male at 7:00
Transfer by domestic airlines
Transfer from the international airport of Velana to Dangethi (Maamigili airport) is carried out by the local airline Flyme. The flight takes about 17 minutes, followed by a 30-minute boat transfer to Danggeti. The transfer is provided according to the schedule.
– Book your flight 3 days beforehand.
– Children under the age of 12 are charged 50% of the adult ticket price.
– Children under 2 travel free.
– To book a flight, guests must provide the date and information about the international flight and passport details.
Transfer by speedboat (from 8 to 10 people):
Cost: $ 779 one way
– Transfer has to be booked 3 days beforehand.
– To book a transfer, guests must provide the date and information about the international flight.
Transfer by speed boat (from 12 to 18 people):
Cost: $ 973 one way
– Transfer has to be booked 3 days beforehand.
-To order a transfer guests must provide the date and information about the international flight.
Budget Maldives is online travel agency to Maldives. We provide a wide range of tours to 150+ island resorts, diving liveaboards, sailing catamarans and local islands. Feel free to contact us and get a personal consultation.